Saturday, October 4, 2008

A foray into Science Fiction

A writer is a creator of “What If.” Even a non-fiction author says, “What if people actually got this message?” A fiction writer makes worlds that do not actually exist, even if they look a lot like where we currently live. A Sci-Fi author makes his own world and you can visit.
Recently, I have been pleased to have been honored twice by the Writers of the Future contest. My stories, “Selfers” and “Smoking Bedpan” (available on request) have won Honorable Mention. The story I have in to them now might or might not get such notice, but it is something I have wanted to write for a long time, “Team Spirits.” If you want to read it, send me a note.
But it is my 473 page novel that has me excited, for though it was not picked up by any major publishers, “The Trasaron Chronicles” is an accomplishment I am proud of. It began as a single story about a fellow who finds himself in a particular situation, one that affects the whole world. But then another story line occurred to me and I wrote that. Then a third, to me just as compelling. I considered putting out three stories all about the same event, but decided instead to intertwine the three stories into one book. If I had included all of the songs written for the story line, the book would have been considerably longer, but I decided they weren't necessary to the story line. If the book gets any die-hard fans, the songbook is available.
You can see the book and description at www.midnightwhistler.com. Exciting times!

No comments: